Printer-friendly versionPDF version
Cafe food at its best: Beef steak, served with sauteed mushrooms, bell peppers and a bit of blue cheese between toasted slices of bread.
It's an ideal weeknight dinner, simple and fast to prepare, fast to clean up and it tastes great! The vegetable sandwich also tastes great without the steak.
- 4 beef steaks
- ½ lb / 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- ¼ small onion, finely chopped
- 4 large slices of white bread or toast
- ca. 4 tbsp of creamy blue cheese or 2 tbsp of butter
- olive oil
- white truffle oil (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Season steaks with freshly ground black pepper
- Set pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and steaks. Cook steaks to your desired level of doneness (5-6 minutes per side for medium-rare). Remove from pan, season with salt, let rest for a few minutes.
- While the steaks are cooking, set heavy pan over high heat. Add a bit of olive oil and the mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes. Add salt, truffle oil and chopped garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan, set aside.
- Add oil to the pan. Cook the bell peppers over high heat until they just start to soften. Remove from pan, set aside.
- Reduce heat, add oil to the pan, cook the onions until they just start to brown. Remove from pan, set aside.
- Toast the bread slices. Spread 1 tbsp of blue cheese or ½ tbsp of butter over each slice. Cut in half.
- Combine the vegetables, season to taste with salt and place equal amounts between bread slice halves. Garnish the steak with a bit of bell pepper. Sprinkle everything with freshly ground black pepper. Serve warm.
While you can of course use a panini press to toast the bread, a broiler or even a toaster works just fine.
Yields 4 servings
Preparation time 30-45 minutes
Bookmark/Search this post with