Printer-friendly versionPDF version
A rich, flavorful and interesting soup. I finally added a photo to the recipe.
- 2 medium-sized onions
- ½ clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb / 500g mushrooms, sliced (preferably crimini mushrooms, they have more flavor)
- 1 qt / 1l chicken stock
- ¼ cup / 60ml dry white wine
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp corn or potato starch
- ½ cup / 125ml heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup /125ml sour cream
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- pinch of saffron (if available)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or to taste
- salt to taste
- freshly ground (white) pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 2-3 drops of white truffle oil
- On medium heat, cook onions in butter until softened. Add garlic, cook until softened, do not brown.
- Add mushrooms and half of the curry powder, cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat if necessary.
- Add chicken stock, white wine and saffron, bring to a simmer, simmer for at least 20 minutes
- Thicken with starch (mix starch with a bit of water, reduce heat, stir in slowly, bring back to simmer)
- Stir in whipping cream and sour cream
- Add remaining curry and lemon juice
- Stir in truffle oil
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve.
- Substitute vegetable stock for a more vegetarian version
- Use a high-quality curry powder. I like to mix it myself but I also like the "Maharajah Style Curry Powder" from Penzey's Spices
- My mother gave me the recipe, I don't know the original source.
Preparation time ca. 1 hour
Yields 4-6 servings
Bookmark/Search this post with