Printer-friendly versionPDF version
Simple but elegant: Beef steaks, topped with mushrooms that were sauteed in white wine and Madeira.
Ideal side dishes are pasta (as in the photo), french fries or pan-fried potatoes.
- 4 beef steaks (preferably fillet steaks), ½ lb / 200g each
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb / 450g mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup / 60ml Madeira
- ¼ cup / 60ml dry white wine
- 1-2 drops of white truffle oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Set heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and the chopped onion. Cook until lightly browned.
- Add garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, cook until they start to release liquid, then turn heat up to high. Cook uncovered until liquid has almost evaporated, stir occasionally.
- Add white wine, Madeira and salt. Reduce until liquid has almost evaporated.
- Reduce heat to low, season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Keep warm.
- Set frying pan over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil. Cook steaks, ca. 5-6 minutes per side for medium-rare 1 in / 2.5cm thick steaks.
- Remove steaks from pan, let rest for a few minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the steaks topped with the mushrooms.
Preparation time, ca. 45 minutes
Yields 4 servings
Bookmark/Search this post with