Printer-friendly versionPDF version
A flavorful Mexican-inspired dish that is simple and fast to prepare. Chicken thighs oven-roated in a stew of tomatoes, bell peppers, potatoes, Tequila and chili power and cayenne. A complete meal in a single pan. And the best: Most of the cleanup can be done while the chicken is in the oven!
- 1lb / 500g chicken thighs, preferably bone-in
- 1lb / 500g small potatoes
- 2 bell peppers, cut into strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup tomato juice (see notes)
- 1 cup / 240ml Tequila
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 tsp chilli powder or to taste
- cayenne pepper to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375F
- Put an oven-proof heavy pan that is large enough to hold all ingredients over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil and chicken thighs. Brown chicken from all sides. Remove and set aside. Remove excess fat from pan.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook onions until soft and translucent. Add bell peppers, cook for a few minutes more. Add garlic, cook for a minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, chili powder, salt, cayenne (optional) and pepper.
- Return chicken to pan and add potatoes. Reduce heat and simmer until half of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the tomato juice and transfer pan into the oven.
- Cook until the potatoes are soft (check with fork), ca. 30min
- Remove from oven, adjust seasoning, serve.
- Instead of fresh tomatoes and tomato juice, you can use canned tomatoes and the juice from the can
- Add the cayenne pepper if you like it spicy
Bookmark/Search this post with