Printer-friendly versionPDF version
What would be better than to make a soup from all the leftover turkey bones? Here my recipe for a nice flavorful turkey broth. Great for the day after.
- Bones and neck of 1 turkey. Leave some meat on the bones.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 turnip, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 can (170g) tomato paste
- 1 cup / 250ml red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 5-6 parsley stems
- 5-6qt / 5-6l water
- Sherry and salt to taste
- Set stockpot over medium-high heat. Add oil and onions, cook until lightly browned.
- Add vegetables, turkey bones and neck. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Add water, wine, tomato paste and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 5-6 hours. Skim off scum and fat. Add water if necessary to keep the bones covered.
- Strain through double layer of cheesecloth.
- Add sherry and salt to taste.
- Serve as an (almost) clear broth or add turkey meat, vegetables and/or noodles.
- Leftover soup freezes well.
Photo of Turkey Soup (while simmering)
Bookmark/Search this post with