Printer-friendly versionPDF version
A very nice and refreshing cold soup. Great as a starter, especially at the end of a hot day.
- 3 slices white bread, lightly toasted
- ½ cup / 120ml water (or more if necessary)
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cored
- 2 red bell peppers, seeds removed
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 lb / 500g tomatoes
- ¼ cup / 60ml olive oil
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp high-quality vinegar (to taste)
- 2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 yellow bell pepper finely diced (for garnish)
- 1 green onion or chives (for garnish)
- Soak bread in ¼ cup of water for at least 10 minutes.
- Cut tomatoes in half, remove seeds
- Combine bread, cucumber, onion, tomatoes, bell peppers and garlic in a blender. Add olive oil, cayenne pepper and 1 tsp of salt.
- Blend together. If necessary, add water to achieve desired consistency.
- Strain, then refrigerate for at least a few hours.
- Add vinegar. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Serve cold, top with yellow bell peppers and green onion or chives.
Yields 4-6 servings.
Inspired by the recipe in Culinaria: European Specialties , but significantly simplified.
Bookmark/Search this post with