Printer-friendly versionPDF version
A very full-bodied soup with a rich flavor.
- 1.5 lbs / 700g oxtail
- 2 oz / 60g bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeds removed, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 parsley stems
- 1 juniper berry
- ½ cup / 125ml red wine
- 2.5 quart / 2.5l beef stock (preferred) or water
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp / 60ml Madeira (or to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Parsley and/or chives for garnish (optional)
- Set large (at least 5 quart / 5l) heavy stockpot over medium-high heat. Add oxtail, brown very well from all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Render bacon. Return oxtail to pot, add onion, celery and carrot. Cook until vegetables are also well browned.
- Add tomatoes, red wine, bay leaf, parsley stems, juniper berry, pepper, salt and beef stock or water.
- Bring to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for ca. 3 hours. Skim off scum and fat frequently. Add water if necessary to keep the oxtail covered.
- Strain through cheesecloth. Discard oxtail and vegetables, keep some small pieces of oxtail meat as garnish for the soup if desired.
- Add Madeira. Adjust seasoning with salt.
Bookmark/Search this post with