Printer-friendly versionPDF version
"Schinkennudeln" is German for "Pasta bake with ham (or bacon)". In my recipe the pasta-and-ham mix is topped with feta cheese and broiled.
- ¼ lb / 125g bacon, cubed
- ½ lb / 250g pasta (farfalle/bow ties)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ lb / 250g feta cheese, cubed
- ¼ lb / 125g peas (frozen is OK)
- ½ cup / 125ml dry white wine
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 frankfurter sausage, sliced (optional)
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Salt to taste
- Cook the pasta: Bring 2 quarts / liters of water to a boil, add salt to taste, add the pasta, bring back to a boil, reduce heat and cook until pasta are done but not overdone. Drain and set aside.
- Set oven-proof pan over medium-high heat. Render bacon and cook until lightly browned.
- Remove excess pork fat. Add chopped onions, cook until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and peas, cook for a few more minutes.
- Add white wine. Reduce heat and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add sour cream and stir well
- Season with freshly ground pepper.
- Add pasta and toss well.
- Top with feta cheese, chopped scallions and, optionally, sliced sausage.
- Broil until the cheese cubes turn brown at the edges. Serve.
Bookmark/Search this post with