Printer-friendly versionPDF version
A flavorful, very elegant and visually appealing dinner. Scallops on a bed of creamed chanterelles and asparagus puree served with asparagus tips and pasta.
- ½ lb / 250 g chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ lb / 250g green asparagus
- ½ cup / 120ml chicken stock
- ½ cup / 120ml dry white wine
- ½ cup / 120ml sour cream
- ½ lb / 250g pasta
- 8 large scallops
Creamed Chanterelle Mushrooms
- Set heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add butter and chopped onion. Cook until lightly browned. Add garlic, cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add mushrooms, cook for ca. 5 minutes, stir occasionally. Reduce heat. Add flour, cook for 5 more minutes, stir frequently.
- Add white wine and chicken stock. Simmer over low-medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add sour cream. Puree with blender or stick blender. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
Puree and Tips of Green Asparagus
- Cut off lower third of asparagus. Discard. Cut off upper third (asparagus tips).
- Bring salted water to a boil. Cook asparagus tips for ca. 5 minutes until done (to taste). Remove and immediately cool in ice water (preserves the color).
- Now cook the middle parts of the asparagus, again ca. 5 minutes. Remove and immediately cool in ice water. Put in blender, add ½ cup of the cooking water. Puree. Set aside.
- Set heavy pan over high heat. Add butter. Cook scallops until done, ca. 1 minute per side. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta. I usually just cook them in the remaining asparagus water.
- Serve on a preheated plate as suggested in the photo: Pour chanterelle cream on one half of the plate, asparagus puree on the other. Make swirls with a knife. Add pasta, scallops and asparagus tips.
Yields 4 servings.
Bookmark/Search this post with