Printer-friendly versionPDF version
This is not a traditional creamy risotto. But in my recipe, watercress, arugula and basmati rice go really well together with scallops browned in butter and a little garlic! The dish is perfect as a starter or a light dinner. And the best of all, it's really easy and fast to prepare. Enjoy!
- 4 oz / 120g arugula, very coarsely chopped
- 4 oz / 120g watercress, very coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup / 180ml basmati rice
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ca. 1¼ cup / 300ml chicken stock
- ¼ cup / 60ml dry white wine
- 8 large scallops
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and onions. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the rice. Stir until well coated with the oil and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add salt, white wine and ca. 1 cup of chicken stock.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for ca. 10 minutes until the rice is almost soft. Add more chicken stock if necessary.
- Stir in the watercress and the arugula. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper
- Set pan over medium to high heat. Brown the butter, then fry the
scallops until lightly browned, depending on the size ca. 1-2 minutes per side. Add the garlic, cook for another 30 seconds, then remove
the scallops from the pan.
- Stir the liquid butter into the risotto (do not deglaze the pan).
- Season scallops with salt, then serve immediately over the risotto.
Yields 4 servings
Preparation time ca. 45 minutes
Bookmark/Search this post with