Printer-friendly versionPDF version
Pancakes filled with mushrooms in a port and cream sauce. A simple, but elegant and very tasty dish.
For the Pancakes
- 2 cups / 300g flour, sifted
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup / 120ml buttermilk or kefir
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ca. 1 ¼ cup / 180ml milk
- butter or oil for baking
For the Filling
- 1 lb / 500g mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp / 25g bacon, finely diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ / 60ml port wine
- 3 tbsp whipping cream
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- pinch of tarragon (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs
- Combine flour with baking powder and salt and stir well into egg mixture.
- Add buttermilk, oil, and milk. Mix until batter is smooth but do not overmix. A few clumps are OK.
- Let stand and relax for at least 30 minutes
- Render bacon in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until nicely browned.
- Add onions and salt, cook until soft and translucent
- Add garlic and tarragon, cook for another minute or two, then add the mushrooms.
- Cook until most of the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Add port, cook until most of it has evaporated.
- Reduce heat. Stir in sour cream and whipping cream. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in chopped parsley.
- Keep warm.
Baking the Pancakes
- Set large non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Add a bit of butter or oil. With a ladle or measuring cup add ½ cup / 120ml of pancake batter. Tilt pan in all directions to equally distribute batter.
- Cook pancake on one side until golden brown. Then flip over and cook other side until golden brown. When a pancake is done, set aside and keep warm.
- Repeat until the batter has been used up. Add butter/oil to the pan as necessary.
- Place 2-3 tbsp of mushroom filling on a pancake. Roll up the pancake, folding in the sides.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
- For this recipe, I prefer the more flavorful brown (crimini) mushrooms.
- For a version without meat, substitute diced bacon with an additional 1 tbsp of butter. Brown butter lightly before adding the onions.
Yields 4-6 servings
Preparation time ca. 1 hour
Bookmark/Search this post with