Printer-friendly versionPDF version
A nice dessert that can be prepared in advance and just finished in the oven: Pancakes filled with blueberries, served warm with a light cinnamon-vanilla sauce.
- 1lb 2oz / 500g blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp blueberry brandy or other fruit brandy (e.g. Slivovitz, Calvados or Kirschwasser)
- 4oz / 125g cake flour
- 5oz / 150g all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups / 500ml milk
- melted butter for brushing the pan
- 1 cup / 250ml milk
- ½ / 125ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 oz / 60g sugar
- 2 oz / 60g unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- Combine blueberries with sugar and brandy. Let sit for at least a few hours (better overnight).
- Combine flour, eggs, vegetable oil and salt. Whisk just until smooth.
- Whisk in milk. Cover and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Set pan over medium-high heat (I usually use my nonstick pan). Brush with butter. Add pancake batter (1/3 cup / 80ml per pancake). Tilt pan in all directions to distribute the batter evenly.
- Bake until golden brown, than turn and finish other side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Repeat, you should have at least 6 pancakes.
- In a saucepan combine milk, cream, vanilla extract, sugar and salt. Add cinnamon stick. Set over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for ca. 10 minutes.
- Remove from stove, remove cinnamon stick. Whisk in butter.
- Note: The sauce doesn't need to be thickened.
Finishing the Dish
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C.
- Lightly grease a ceramic form with butter.
- Fill the pancakes: Placing some blueberries on them and roll them up. You should fill at least 6 pancakes.
- Place pancakes in the form
- Pour about one third of the vanilla sauce over the pancakes.
- Bake for ca. 30-40 minutes
- Distribute the remaining vanilla sauce over plates. Place a pancake on each plate. Serve warm.
Yields 6 servings
Bookmark/Search this post with