Printer-friendly versionPDF version
Braised red cabbage with onion, apple, bacon and red wine.
- 1 red cabbage
- 2 oz / 60g bacon, diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cloves
- pinch of ground ginger
- pinch of allspice
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 cup / 250ml red wine
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock (or water)
- 2-3 tbsp vinegar (or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove outer leaves from cabbage. Cut into quarters, cut out white trunk. Slice cabbage into very thin shreds.
- Set heavy pan over medium-high heat. Render bacon.
- Add onion and sugar, cook until onion starts to soften.
- Add shredded cabbage, cloves, cinnamon and spices. Stir well and cook for a few minutes.
- Add apple slices and stock. Cover partially and simmer until cabbage is done (ca. 20-30 minutes). Stir occasionally.
- Add red wine and vinegar. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove cinnamon stick before serving.
Bookmark/Search this post with