Printer-friendly versionPDF version
To continue my mini-series on German cooking: This recipe is how my Mom cooks sauerkraut; With butter, bacon, onion, caraway seeds and white wine. It takes about 20 minutes in the pressure cooker and tastes wonderful.
- 4 lbs / ca. 2kg sauerkraut (jars or cans)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 oz / 60g bacon, diced
- 1 small onion
- 2 cups / ca. 500ml dry white wine
- Set pressure cooker over medium heat. Add butter and bacon. Cook bacon for 2-3 minutes. Add caraway seeds.
- Add onions, cook until softened, do not brown.
- Add sauerkraut (without the liquid from the jars or cans). Stir to coat with the fat. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add white wine. Put on lid, cook for 15 minutes at high pressure. Adjust heat as necessary.
- Remove from heat, let stand until de-pressurized.
- Serve immediately or let cool down, refrigerate and reheat before serving. It's even better when reheated!
- If the canned sauerkraut is very salty (taste a little sample!), soak for 2-3 hours in water, change the soaking water every hour.
Yields ca. 8-10 servings
Preparation time ca. 30-40 minutes
Bookmark/Search this post with