Printer-friendly versionPDF version
A flavorful casserole dish that is relatively simple to prepare and very versatile. It makes a nice standalone dinner but is also very good as a side dish for meats and vegetables.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or coarsely ground dried chili peppers
- ½ cup / 120ml dry white wine
- 1 large can (840ml) diced tomatoes with juice
- ½ lb / 225g bread, cut into 1in / 2.5cm cubes
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup / 240ml whipping cream
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4oz / 120g goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup freshly ground Parmesan cheese
- Whisk together whipping cream and eggs. Stir in chopped parsley. Reserve.
- Preheat oven to 450°F / 230°C.
- Set oven-proof saute pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and onions. Cook until lightly browned.
- Add garlic, thyme, sage, and chili or cayenne pepper. Cook for another minute or two.
- Add white wine and tomatoes with their juice. Bring to a light boil, reduce for ca. 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened a bit. Stir frequently.
- Remove from heat. Stir in bread cubes. Cover with crumbled goat cheese and pour the egg-cream mixture over it.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until the egg has set and top turns golden brown, ca. 20-25 minutes.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Preparation time ca. 60-90 minutes
Bookmark/Search this post with