Printer-friendly versionPDF version
Another nice little experiment that turned out to be successful: A puff pastry crust filled with chicken, pease and pomegranate syrup. The tangy syrup goes very well with the chicken and the peas. A nice full meal, but also a very nice and elegant starter.
- 3 boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut in to strips.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup peas
- 2 cups / 500ml pomegranate juice
- 1 cup red wine
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 10in x 10in / 25cm x 25cm sheet puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 400°F / 175°C
- Set heavy pan over medium high heat. Combine pomegranate juice, red wine and sugar. Boil to reduce until syrupy. Remove from heat and stir in the butter.
- Set heavy saute pan over high heat. Add vegetable oil and chicken. Cook until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat. Cook onions until lightly browned. Add garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes. Add peas and chicken. Cook until chicken is done (ca. 5-7 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir 3/4 of the reduced pomegranate juice into the chicken mixture.
- Place puff pastry on a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
- Place chicken mixture on one half of the puff pastry sheet. Fold over the other half and crimp well.
- Bake ca. 15-20 minutes. When almost done, brush with the remaining pomegranate syrup and bake for another 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Preparation time ca. 90 minutes
Yields 4 full-sized servings or 6 starters
Bookmark/Search this post with