Printer-friendly versionPDF version
A mild but flavorful Indian-style curry of halibut.
- 1 lb / 450g halibut cut into large cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 anchovies
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried and ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup / 120ml dry white wine
- ¾ cup / 180ml kefir or yogurt
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- cilantro and cayenne pepper for garnish
- Heat oil in a heavy saute pan. Add onions. Cook until they start to brown. Add whole garlic cloves, then cook until onions are nicely browned (coffee-color is about right).
- Add all spices, except cayenne pepper. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add anchovies, cayenne and wine.
- Reduce heat, cover, simmer for at least 45 minutes, add water in small amounts if necessary. This step can be done in a pressure cooker: Cook for about 15 minutes at high pressure.
- Transfer to blender, add yogurt or kefir, blend until smooth.
- Return to pan, add halibut cubes, cook over low heat until halibut is done, a few minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with basmati rice, garnish with cilantro and cayenne pepper.
Yields 2-3 servings
Bookmark/Search this post with