Printer-friendly versionPDF version
Creme brulee is one of my favorite desserts. It's remarkably easy to prepare. This recipe is my favorite creme brulee - it's a classic combination of orange and cardamom flavors.
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups / 500ml whipping cream
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier (or Triple Sec)
- 10-12 finely crushed cardamom seeds
- Zest of 2 oranges, finely grated and small pieces of one orange
- granulated white suger for caramelizing
- Preheat oven to 300°F / 160°C
- Whisk together sugar and egg yolks.
- Add cream, salt, vanilla and Grand Marnier. Stir well. Strain (important for a smooth creme!).
- Add orange zest and crushed cardamom
- Distribute orange pieces equally over 6 ramekins. Fill up each ramekin with the egg-and-cream mixture.
- Place ramekins in a water bath. Bake until the custard is set around the edges and still wiggly in the center, ca. 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from water bath, let cool, cover ramekins with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least a 5-6 hours
- Sprinkle with sugar and caramelize under a broiler or with a kitchen torch
Yields 6 servings.
Based on a recipe in Debbie Puente Elegantly Easy Creme Brulee: & Other Custard Desserts . My recipe adds the orange pieces and straining and uses more cardamom.
Bookmark/Search this post with