Printer-friendly versionPDF version
Lamb meat in coconut milk sauce with ginger, garlic, red bell peppers, chillies and lime. This recipe is the result of a little experiment that turned out very, very well. Cooked in the pressure cooker for less than 30 minutes, the result is tender lamb in a flavorful sauce.
- 1½ lbs / 700g leg of lamb, cut into 1 in / 2.5cm cubes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 oz / 60g fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- zest and juice of ½ lime
- 1 can (13.5 fl oz / 400ml) coconut milk
- ca. 10 dried piquin chillies (or to taste)
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 scallion, chopped (as garnish)
- Set 5qt / 5l pressure cooker over high heat. Add vegetable oil and lamb meat cubes.
- Brown lamb well from all sides (ca. 5 minutes), then remove from pot and set aside.
- Reduce heat. Add onions, cook until soft and translucent but do not brown.
- Add ginger, garlic, bell peppers, lime zest and chillies. Cook until vegetables start to soften. Add salt.
- Add coconut milk and lime juice and bring to a simmer. Return meat to pressure cooker, put on lid.
- Cook on high pressure for ca. 25 minutes.
- Release pressure. Mix cornstarch with a few tbsp of water. Stir in, cook on low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Adjust seasoning with salt. Serve. Garnish with chopped scallions.
In the photo, the lamb is served with mixed grains, but the dish would also go well with rice or pasta.
Yields ca. 4 servings
Preparation time ca. 45-60 minutes
Bookmark/Search this post with