Printer-friendly versionPDF version
Swordfish steaks, cooked in a tomato sauce with Kalamata olives and fresh basil.
Covered with basil leaves and tomato slices, the fish steaks are gently cooked in the oven so that they keep moist.
- ca. 1lb / 500g swordfish steaks (4 steaks)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 small plum tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup / 125ml red wine
- ½ cup / 125ml tomato juice
- 2 oz / 60g canned Kalamata olives, cut into slices
- handful of fresh basil leaves, cut into fine shreds
- salt to taste
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 4 tomato slices
- shaved Parmesan cheese (as garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C
- Set heavy ovenproof pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, salt and onions. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add garlic. Reduce heat and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add red wine, tomato juice and cayenne pepper.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Blend with a stick blender until smooth.
- Add sliced olives and shredded basil. Adjust seasoning with salt.
- Place swordfish steaks in the sauce. Top each steak with a basil leaf and a tomato slice.
- Cook in oven until the fish is done - about 10-15 minutes. Don't overcook.
- Remove from oven and serve: Spoon some sauce on a plate. Add the fish. Top with shredded fresh basil and add some shaved Parmesan cheese.
Preparation time ca. 1 hour
Yields 4 servings
Bookmark/Search this post with