Printer-friendly versionPDF version
In this recipe, slices of oxtail and diced vegetables are braised in red wine. In the pressure cooker it takes only about 40-45 minutes for the meat to become tender. I like the flavorful oxtail meat.
- 2 lbs / 1kg oxtail
- freshly ground pepper, salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (5oz / 150g)
- 1 carrot, diced (5 oz / 150g)
- 1 turnip, diced (5 oz / 150g)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup / 180ml red wine
- Trim off fat and season oxtail slices with salt and pepper
- Set pressure cooking pan over high heat. Add vegetable oil. Brown oxtail pieces from all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Cook onion until softened and lightly browned.
- Add carrot and turnip. Cook for ca. 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook for two minutes.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Cook until most of the tomato juices have evaporated.
- Return oxtail pieces to pressure cooker. Add bay leaf, thyme and red wine. Put on lid and cook at high pressure for ca. 40-45 minutes
- Release pressure (quick-release).
- Reduce over medium heat.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf.
Serve with pasta.
Yields 4 servings
Preparation time ca. 90 minutes
Bookmark/Search this post with